I have been a convert to oil cleansing for over a year now: my previously half-dry, half-oily skin was transformed, in about a week of using coconut oil to wash with, into a smooth, supple, and soft expanse over which I rarely apply makeup. So when I received full-size samples of a natural face oil cleanser and multi-oil-based serum from Kari Gran, I was already convinced that cleansing and moisturizing with oil was the way to go.
And yes, washing with oil works on all types of skin, even oily. Here’s why, according to the company’s site:
Although oil-based cleansing is a new approach for many in America, it has been used by various cultures around the world for centuries. It provides a luxurious alternative to many detergent-based products designed to strip oil from the skin without replenishing it – succeeding only to signal the skin to make more oil.
Facial cleansing oil operates on the principle that “like attracts like”. Applying healthy, plant based oil on the skin and steaming it away draws out grimy oils from within, while still maintaining the skin’s natural balance for soft and supple results.
After over two months of daily use, I can say that my skin is better than ever, even though I just turned 37. It’s a wonderful regimen that smells divine (due to the very high-quality essential oils), so using it is one of those mini-pleasures that I look forward to engaging in. Because it is such a wonderful experience, I take my time doing it; and often engage in a delicious facial self-massage. I recommend using their full system, because it’s just lovely—from start to finish.
Here’s what the team at Kari Gran recommends (you’ll see a huge difference in the way they suggest you wash and moisturize vs. what you’ve seen elsewhere):
- Cleanse once a day at night. Simply apply 8-10 pumps of Cleansing Oil into your dry palm and liberally massage onto dry face and neck.
- Next, wring out a hot (not scalding), damp washcloth and lay over the face until cool. Rinse and repeat.
- Gently wipe face and neck with the washcloth to remove excess oil while providing a light exfoliation.
- Next, shake tonic before use to redistribute essential oils.
- Then mist 3-4 pumps of Hydrating Tonic into the palm of your hand and add one to two pumps of Essential Serum, rub together and….voila! A batch of fresh moisturizer has just been made without a preservative in sight.
- Gently apply to cleansed skin. If you like more moisture, add more serum. Play with it.
Related on Eco-Chick: